Stand-bye for a day, it`s back to Ranji Trophy for Dinda
New Delhi: Bengal speedster Ashoke Dinda is all set to be released by the Indian team management so that he can join his state team for the third round Ranji Trophy encounter against Gujarat starting from November 17 at Eden Gardens.
After Ishant Sharma was diagnosed with viral fever, the BCCI had announced Dinda`s name as stand-bye. He joined the squad as Ishant`s stand-bye on SOS basis.
Dinda was in Chandigarh when he got a call of his selection and he travelled to Kolkata and from there dashed to Ahmedabad.
"Ashoke Dinda will be taking 3:45 pm flight from Ahmedabad and will be back in Kolkata by the evening. Since the first Test has already started, the selectors feel that it is better to release Dinda so that he can utilise the time in a serious match situation against Gujarat," a senior BCCI official told PTI on Thursday.
According to reliable sources in the Board, the selectors want the 14th and 15th member of the squad to leave for Ranji Trophy duties so that they get proper match practice.
"The idea is that we need two extra players who can be substitute fielders. As for the others, it is better that they go and play the Ranji Trophy which will also help them get good match practice," a senior official informed.
It is learnt that Dinda is likely to join Bengal practice tomorrow ahead of their match against Gujarat.
Bengal`s chairman of selection committee Deep Dasgupta wants to look at the positive side.
"I would say Dinda should feel good about the fact that his short call-up meant that selectors now feel that he is the number one back-up pacer in the country after Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav and Ishant. Also, it will be a good thing as he would be able to bowl a good 25 overs," the former India player said.
There were also reports that Murali Vijay might also be released for Tamil Nadu`s home Ranji game against Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand