Stand-bye for a day, it`s back to Ranji Trophy for Dinda
New Delhi: Bengal speedster Ashoke Dinda is all set to be released by the Indian team management so that he can join his state team for the third round Ranji Trophy encounter against Gujarat starting from November 17 at Eden Gardens.
After Ishant Sharma was diagnosed with viral fever, the BCCI had announced Dinda`s name as stand-bye. He joined the squad as Ishant`s stand-bye on SOS basis.
Dinda was in Chandigarh when he got a call of his selection and he travelled to Kolkata and from there dashed to Ahmedabad.
"Ashoke Dinda will be taking 3:45 pm flight from Ahmedabad and will be back in Kolkata by the evening. Since the first Test has already started, the selectors feel that it is better to release Dinda so that he can utilise the time in a serious match situation against Gujarat," a senior BCCI official told PTI on Thursday.
According to reliable sources in the Board, the selectors want the 14th and 15th member of the squad to leave for Ranji Trophy duties so that they get proper match practice.
"The idea is that we need two extra players who can be substitute fielders. As for the others, it is better that they go and play the Ranji Trophy which will also help them get good match practice," a senior official informed.
It is learnt that Dinda is likely to join Bengal practice tomorrow ahead of their match against Gujarat.
Bengal`s chairman of selection committee Deep Dasgupta wants to look at the positive side.
"I would say Dinda should feel good about the fact that his short call-up meant that selectors now feel that he is the number one back-up pacer in the country after Zaheer Khan, Umesh Yadav and Ishant. Also, it will be a good thing as he would be able to bowl a good 25 overs," the former India player said.
There were also reports that Murali Vijay might also be released for Tamil Nadu`s home Ranji game against Maharashtra.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days