Twin centuries take Karnataka to a strong position
Pune: Captain Stuart Binny and wicketkeeper Muralidharen Gautam struck unbeaten centuries as Karnataka recovered from a poor start to end the first day of their last league match of the Ranji Trophy against Maharashtra on a strong position here on Saturday.
Binny and Gautam were still going strong on 115 and 132 and they have so far shared 215 runs for the unfinished fifth wicket stand to take Karnataka to 306 for four at the draw of stumps.
Thanks to Binny and Gautam, Karnataka, who still have an outside chance to make it to the quarterfinals, recovered against relegation candidates Maharashtra.
From 18 for two and then 91 for four just after lunch break, the visitors made a remarkable recovery to end the day on a comfortable position.
Binny was the more agressive of the duo as he consumed just 142 balls from which he hit 13 fours and two sixes. Gautam, on the other hand, took 261 balls for his unbeaten 132 and hit 15 fours and a six.
Maharashtra captain Rohit Motwani`s decision to field first at Subrata Roy Sahara Stadium initially looked like paying dividends but it backfired later as Gautam and Binny denied the home side any success for most past of the second session and the whole of the final session of the day.
It was a leather-hunt for Maharashtra players after number five Karnataka batsman Ganesh Satish (6) was run out early in the second session.
For Maharashtra, Shrikant Mundhe, Sachin Chaudhari and Satyajeet Bachhav took a wicket each.
Karnataka 1st Innings: 306 for four in 89 overs (Muralidharen Gautam 132 batting, Stuart Binny 115).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends