Domingo says Proteas squad is not earning reputation for ball tampering
Johannesburg: South Africa coach Russell Domingo has denied that his team was earning a reputation for ball tampering after Vernon Philander became the second bowler in the last nine months to be fined by the ICC for the offence.
Philander was on Friday fined 75 percent of his match fees after footage emerged of him attempting to change the condition of the ball by scratching the surface with his fingers and thumb during the ongoing first Test against Sri Lanka.
Domingo said that he does not think that South Africa is earning that reputation, adding that he would hate to say that other side is a bit better at doing it than they are, Sport24 reported.
The coach said that they do not try to do it intentionally, adding that Philander said that he was cleaning it but it is now done.
South Africa were involved in a similar incident against Pakistan in the UAE last October when TV coverage showed Faf du Plessis rubbing the ball close to the zipper of his trouser pocket. He was fined 50 percent of his match fees.
Domingo said that he had not seen the latest footage and it was hard for him to comment in detail, adding that they need to move on and put it behind them because nine times out of ten if they have footage, one would be found guilty.
Domingo further added that the try to play the game in the right spirit, and it is not something that they set out to do.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read