Domingo says Proteas squad is not earning reputation for ball tampering
Johannesburg: South Africa coach Russell Domingo has denied that his team was earning a reputation for ball tampering after Vernon Philander became the second bowler in the last nine months to be fined by the ICC for the offence.
Philander was on Friday fined 75 percent of his match fees after footage emerged of him attempting to change the condition of the ball by scratching the surface with his fingers and thumb during the ongoing first Test against Sri Lanka.
Domingo said that he does not think that South Africa is earning that reputation, adding that he would hate to say that other side is a bit better at doing it than they are, Sport24 reported.
The coach said that they do not try to do it intentionally, adding that Philander said that he was cleaning it but it is now done.
South Africa were involved in a similar incident against Pakistan in the UAE last October when TV coverage showed Faf du Plessis rubbing the ball close to the zipper of his trouser pocket. He was fined 50 percent of his match fees.
Domingo said that he had not seen the latest footage and it was hard for him to comment in detail, adding that they need to move on and put it behind them because nine times out of ten if they have footage, one would be found guilty.
Domingo further added that the try to play the game in the right spirit, and it is not something that they set out to do.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister