Dravid gets standing ovation from crowd on his swansong ODI
Cardiff: Veteran India batsman Rahul Dravid was given a befitting farewell from one-day cricket, with the crowd here at Sofia Gardens getting on their feet as he walked into bat for one last time.
Dravid, who retired from One-Day cricket today, was given a standing ovation when he trudged into the ground in the final match of the series against England, befitting his stature as one of the all time greats in the 50-over format.
A near capacity crowd at the Sophia Gardens rose on their feet as soon as Dravid made his way to the middle after Ajinkya Rahane was out in the 13th over when India were at 52 for one.
The crowd greeted him with placards on which were written `we will miss you Dravid, the great ambassador of India` and `the only reason we are here is to show gratitude to Rahul`.
Dravid walked into One-Day swansong after an illustrious career spanning 15 years from 1996 and has scored 10,820 runs from 343 matches before today`s game. He is the seventh most prolific ODI run-getter in history.
He had announced his ODI retirement before the start of the limited overs series against England after he was surprisingly named in the Indian squad after a hiatus of nearly four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM