Dravid receives Padma Bhushan
New Delhi: Batting great Rahul Dravid received India`s third highest civilian honour, the Padma Bhushan, from President Pranab Mukherjee during a ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhawan`s Darbar Hall on Friday.
Former boxer Ngangom Dingko Singh and rower Bajrang Lal Takhar received the country`s fourth highest civilian honour, the Padma Shri.
"It was a great feeling. Surprisingly, it worked out all fine for me. Tomorrow, I am playing our IPL match here and today (Friday) I got this award. I would have gone anyway to receive this award. I`m happy my family is here besides me," Dravid told reporters on receiving the award.
The 40-year-old will be leading Rajasthan Royals against the Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League (IPL) at the Ferozeshah Kotla on Saturday. The prolific batsman scored 13,288 runs in 164 Tests at an average of 52.31 and amassed 10,889 runs in 344 ODIs, averaging 39.16.
This year`s list of honours was announced on Jan 25 and another ceremony is expected later for presentation of the awards to the remaining recipients. Boxer M.C. Mary Kom was also named for Padma Bhushan while shooter Vijay Kumar, wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt, mountaineer Premlata Agrawal, para-athlete Hosanagara Nagarajegowda Girisha were named in the list of Padma Shris.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid