Duncan Fletcher under pressure: Sourav Ganguly
Sydney: Former captain Sourav Ganguly has said that coach Duncan Fletcher is under pressure as the Indian team has suffered their fifth loss in their past five overseas Tests.
Fletcher presided over a disastrous 4-0 Test series humbling in England this year, and now faces the prospect of another unfulfilled tour of Australia.
Teams coached by him have won only one of 11 Tests in Australia and lost 10, the latest a 122-run rout at the MCG this week.
“He has had a tough time. It’s his fifth loss in his past five overseas Tests, so he will be under a bit of pressure. He has to turn it around,” Ganguly said.
Fletcher faces an enormous challenge to help India regroup as there are increasing whispers that several senior players had made it known that they were unhappy with the defensive field placings that allowed Australian tailenders to post a crucial 43-run stand on Thursday morning.
As England coach, his 2002-03 touring party was mauled 4-1, with the Ashes conceded in only 11 playing days.
Some Indian batsmen privately say Fletcher is very good technically, echoing comments of their English and South African counterparts.
Fletcher’s immediate challenge is to find a way heading into next week’s second Test of combating Australia’s tailend batsmen and pacers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad