England defeat West Indies by 5 wickets
London: A 132-run partnership between Alastair Cook and Ian Bell helped England defeat West Indies by 5 wickets in the first Test match played at Lord’s.
Chasing 191 to win, England slumped to 57/4 as Kemor Roach scalped his third wicket to dismiss Trott for just 13 runs. Kevin Pietersen and Cook added 28 runs for the fourth wicket before Pietersen (13) perished in Shannon Gabriel’s first over.
West Indies looked to be in a very solid position till then, but the century partnership between Cook (79) and Bell (63*) did the rescue work as England now lead the series 1-0. Cook was dismissed when the home team needed just two runs to win.
Stuart Broad who picked up 11 wickets in both the innings was declared as the Man of the Match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding