England defeat West Indies by 5 wickets
London: A 132-run partnership between Alastair Cook and Ian Bell helped England defeat West Indies by 5 wickets in the first Test match played at Lord’s.
Chasing 191 to win, England slumped to 57/4 as Kemor Roach scalped his third wicket to dismiss Trott for just 13 runs. Kevin Pietersen and Cook added 28 runs for the fourth wicket before Pietersen (13) perished in Shannon Gabriel’s first over.
West Indies looked to be in a very solid position till then, but the century partnership between Cook (79) and Bell (63*) did the rescue work as England now lead the series 1-0. Cook was dismissed when the home team needed just two runs to win.
Stuart Broad who picked up 11 wickets in both the innings was declared as the Man of the Match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan