England to tackle Ajmal by relying on same tactics used against Muralitharan
London: England will rely on the same tactics it had used against former Sri Lankan spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan to tackle Pakistani spinner Saaed Ajmal in the second Test in the United Arab Emirates.
Muralitharan reinvented off-spin bowling with the ability to bowl the ‘doosra’, which posed a threat to England’s battling- line-up.
But Muraitharan had to work twice as hard to claim wickets when he bowled to England batsmen in the 2007 Test series.
The 2007 series was a hard-fought contest in which England batsman Matt Prior was able to tackle Muralitharan’s spin attack, and he used those experiences to score 70 runs in the first Test in the UAE.
“I remember playing Murali in Sri Lanka and one of the big things we spoke about then was the first 20 balls you faced from him felt pretty frantic, pretty hectic. He bowled very quickly at you, which Ajmal does,” The Mirror quoted Prior, as saying.
“If you get through that period with the men round the bat and the oohs and aahs, suddenly the game slows down. You start to see his wrist better and get the rhythm of the game,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling