England to tackle Ajmal by relying on same tactics used against Muralitharan
London: England will rely on the same tactics it had used against former Sri Lankan spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan to tackle Pakistani spinner Saaed Ajmal in the second Test in the United Arab Emirates.
Muralitharan reinvented off-spin bowling with the ability to bowl the ‘doosra’, which posed a threat to England’s battling- line-up.
But Muraitharan had to work twice as hard to claim wickets when he bowled to England batsmen in the 2007 Test series.
The 2007 series was a hard-fought contest in which England batsman Matt Prior was able to tackle Muralitharan’s spin attack, and he used those experiences to score 70 runs in the first Test in the UAE.
“I remember playing Murali in Sri Lanka and one of the big things we spoke about then was the first 20 balls you faced from him felt pretty frantic, pretty hectic. He bowled very quickly at you, which Ajmal does,” The Mirror quoted Prior, as saying.
“If you get through that period with the men round the bat and the oohs and aahs, suddenly the game slows down. You start to see his wrist better and get the rhythm of the game,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon