Ex-skipper Graeme Smith lauds Jacques Kallis for his honesty
Johannesburg: Former Proteas cricket captain Graeme Smith has praised Jacques Kallis for his honesty in accepting that he could not face the possibility of letting down the Proteas in the run-up to next year`s World Cup.
Smith said that in accepting his poor ODI form on the recent tour to Sri Lanka, Kallis had shown maturity in his decision to re-evaluate his future in the sport, Sport24 reports.
Smith admitted that he had been ribbing Kallis about him getting on in years, and of having a hint about his retirement from all forms of the game sonner than later.
Kallis, he said, really wanted to win the World Cup, but realized that he might let the team down.
Smith said the timing of the decision to retire was perfect because it gave the team enough time to adapt their tactics to his absence ahead of the World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened