Five-star Bishoo hands Windies Test series
Dhaka: Leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo grabbed 5-90 as the West Indies trounced Bangladesh by 229 runs in the second and final cricket Test in Dhaka on Wednesday to wrap up the series 1-0 on Tuesday.
Bangladesh, who were set an improbable victory target of 508 runs, were shot out for 278 soon after lunch on the fifth day at the Sher-e-Bangla stadium.
Bishoo, the Guyanese bowler who turns 26 on Sunday, returned with career-best figures in only his seventh Test and skipper Darren Sammy chipped in with 2-19 to rout the hosts.
The emphatic win after the drawn first match in Chittagong provided a massive morale-booster for Sammy's men, who begin a three-Test series in India on Sunday.
Bangladesh, resuming at the overnight score of 164-3, lost the crucial wickets of opener Tamim Iqbal, skipper Mushfiqur Rahim and Shakib Al Hasan in the morning session.
Tamim, Bangladesh's main batting hope who was unbeaten on 82, added just one more run when he was caught in the slips off Bishoo in the day's third over.
The left-hander's 83 contained eight boundaries and a six. Shakib and Rahim raised visions of a Bangladesh fightback when they put on 88 runs for the fifth wicket, before both batsmen fell in the space of four runs.
Shakib made 55 when he tried to steer Sammy to third man, but only managed to sky a catch to Shivnarine Chanderpaul running back from the slip region.
Rahim took his overnight score of 33 to 69 when he was bowled by a superb delivery from Bishoo that spun in sharply from leg to clip the off-stump.
Bishoo struck twice in the first over after lunch, trapping Nasir Hossain leg-before and having Suhrawadi Shuvo caught by Sammy.
Fast bowler Kemar Roach sealed the win by bowling last man Rubel Hossain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka