Five-star Bishoo hands Windies Test series
Dhaka: Leg-spinner Devendra Bishoo grabbed 5-90 as the West Indies trounced Bangladesh by 229 runs in the second and final cricket Test in Dhaka on Wednesday to wrap up the series 1-0 on Tuesday.
Bangladesh, who were set an improbable victory target of 508 runs, were shot out for 278 soon after lunch on the fifth day at the Sher-e-Bangla stadium.
Bishoo, the Guyanese bowler who turns 26 on Sunday, returned with career-best figures in only his seventh Test and skipper Darren Sammy chipped in with 2-19 to rout the hosts.
The emphatic win after the drawn first match in Chittagong provided a massive morale-booster for Sammy's men, who begin a three-Test series in India on Sunday.
Bangladesh, resuming at the overnight score of 164-3, lost the crucial wickets of opener Tamim Iqbal, skipper Mushfiqur Rahim and Shakib Al Hasan in the morning session.
Tamim, Bangladesh's main batting hope who was unbeaten on 82, added just one more run when he was caught in the slips off Bishoo in the day's third over.
The left-hander's 83 contained eight boundaries and a six. Shakib and Rahim raised visions of a Bangladesh fightback when they put on 88 runs for the fifth wicket, before both batsmen fell in the space of four runs.
Shakib made 55 when he tried to steer Sammy to third man, but only managed to sky a catch to Shivnarine Chanderpaul running back from the slip region.
Rahim took his overnight score of 33 to 69 when he was bowled by a superb delivery from Bishoo that spun in sharply from leg to clip the off-stump.
Bishoo struck twice in the first over after lunch, trapping Nasir Hossain leg-before and having Suhrawadi Shuvo caught by Sammy.
Fast bowler Kemar Roach sealed the win by bowling last man Rubel Hossain.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning