Flat track but Sehwag played exceptionally well: Richardson
Indore: Former West Indies captain Richie Richardson termed Virender Sehwag`s historic 219 as an "exceptional knock."
"Sehwag played exceptionally well. It was a flat wicket. Even though Sehwag batted so well, I thought if one or two of our batsmen could stick in, we could get to that total. But it was not to be," Richardson told the mediapersons after the match.
"We knew they were going to put on big total. The outfield was lush green. It was always going to be a high-scoring match. But we were very disappointed as the Indians batted much better on that wicket. Our captain was very positive and said if they could get it, we could too," said the team manager.
Richardson however refused to be drawn into the comparison of Sehwag`s innings with Vivian Richards` magnificent 189 against England at Old Trafford back in 1984. Richards` innings was the then highest score in ODIs.
"I don`t want to compare the innings of Sehwag with anyone else`s. That innings came when we were in difficulties and he put on a great partnership with Michael Holding. The wicket was difficult. This was a flat track, but Sehwag`s innings was exceptional," he explained.
He was not of the opinion that Darren Bravo`s absence was one of the reasons for the defeat.
"Players are going to get injured time to time and we have to replace that player. We have lost games with Bravo," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh