Focus on Gambhir, Zaheer as India squad for South Africa to be announced on Monday
Vadodara: Veterans Gautam Gambhir and Zaheer Khan`s names are set to be discussed when the Indian selectors meet here tomorrow to decide on the squads for the tour of South Africa, starting December 5.
Since BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel is the convener of the senior selection committee, the meeting is being held in his hometown.
While the Indian ODI squad is likely to be selected on the expected lines with almost all the members of the team playing against West Indies set to be retained, the Test squad can have a few interesting selections.
The attention will be entirely on Gambhir and Zaheer`s entry into the squad as the additional opener and fifth pacer.
Gambhir, who led from the front in Delhi`s win with a knock of 153, has so far scored 372 runs in six innings in Ranji Trophy this season at a healthy average of 74 plus. He also has a couple of half-centuries in the match against Mumbai.
With Murali Vijay and Shikhar Dhawan having sealed the first XI openers` slot, Gambhir will be vying for that reserve opener`s place as Ajinkya Rahane has been earmarked as a middle-order batsman in longer format.
While Virat Kohli is expected to be promoted as No 4 with Sachin Tendulkar`s retirement, Rahane is likely to be inducted in the playing XI as No 6 batsman with skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni coming in at No 7. Cheteshwar Pujara and Rohit Sharma are automatic choices as Nos 3 and 5 respectively.
Offie Ravichandran Ashwin is likely to be the lone spinner in the playing XI while fight for the second spinner`s slot will be between Ravindra Jadeja and Pragyan Ojha. Ojha`s last Test appearance in Mumbai recently got him a match haul of 10 wickets while Jadeja is a much better batsman of the two.
Axe could fall on leg-spinner Amit Mishra as India can`t afford to select three specialist spinners in a country where pitches are conducive for fast bowling.
Mohammed Shami, Bhuvneshwar Kumar have already sealed their spots in the playing XI with some good performances. Ishant Sharma is also in the fray after his 9-wicket haul against Haryana in a Ranji Trophy match.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement