Gary Kirsten`s salary a secret
Johannesburg: The salary of the newly appointed South Africa cricket team coach Gary Kirsten has been kept secret and even Cricket South Africa`s legal and governance committee does not have a clue about it.
The chairman of CSA`s legal and governance committee, Ajay Sooklal said that he was "appalled" when told that the salary of Kirsten was a secret.
Sooklal testified at the inquiry into the financial affairs of CSA instituted by Spots Minister Fikile Mbalula in the wake of almost two years of wrangling over IPL 2 bonuses paid to CSA chief executive Gerald Majola and other CSA executives without sanction from the board.
He told the inquiry yesterday that CSA lacked ethical leadership and that the IPL bonus issue, which saw CSA President Mtutuzeli Nyoka ousted twice after he called for an independent inquiry, had cost CSA sponsorships.
"We know the salary of the president, high court judges and chief justices but here we had a salary of a national coach that was secret and against (basic principles of) good governance," Sooklal said.
Kirsten was appointed the national coach of the Protean side after his contract with the Indian Cricket Board expired following his successful World Cup campaign with the Indian team.
Sooklal also told the inquiry how he had twice tried to convince Majola to pay back the bonus that he had paid to himself, but Majola indicated that he did not have the money to do so.
"CSA had resolved that. Since the bonus saga was keeping sponsors away and stifling the game from moving forward, that (Majola) should return the money for the good of the game.”
"He agreed at first but later approached me and said he did not have the money," Sooklal said.
The hearing will continue tomorrow with CSA testifying while Majola is expected to put his side of the story to the inquiry next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?