Gibson wants IPL-type pitches for CPL
Port-of-Spain (Trinidad): West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson says he wants to see pitches for the future editions of the Limacol Caribbean Premier League (LCPL) similar to those in the Indian Premier League (IPL).
Gibson`sc comments echoed the observations of commentators and experts during and after the LCPL which ended in Trinidad Saturday, reports CMC.
"That`s always been my concern," Gibson told the Express.
"T20 cricket needs...you watch it in India and the pitches are flat and the scores are high and batsmen can hit through the ball with freedom. T20 cricket needs that and unfortunately that is one of our biggest challenges right now, to prepare better pitches, not just in this format but in all formats."
Jamaica Tallawahs defeated Guyana Amazon Warriors by seven wickets in a low scoring final to claim the first ever LCPL trophy.
There were only 11 totals in excess of 150 runs in 24 matches, while there were four below 100 from teams who either set totals or failed to chase successfully.
"It`s something that the board is looking into right now and hopefully by the time this tournament comes around next year, not just this tournament but by the time the international events come around next year, we can see a marked improvement in the pitches," said Gibson.
"The fans deserve to go and see cricket played on better pitches and it will only improve the batsmanship that we see in the region."
The West Indies head coach said overall he was impressed with the LCPL and believes regional players will benefit from the experience.
"It`s been a good spectacle," Gibson said.
Left-arm swing bowler Santokie, named Player-of-the-Series, ended with 16 wickets, while the energetic Cotterell picked up eight wickets for the Antigua Hawksbills at an average of 21.75 and an economy rate of 6.44.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal