Giles slams Vaughan for `ticket refund for ODIs` comments
Johannesburg: England limited-overs coach Ashley Giles has slammed former captain Michael Vaughan for his comments suggesting that fans who had bought tickets for England`s one-day series against Australia deserved a refund.
England named a one-day squad without several rested senior players in regular captain Alastair Cook, batsman Ian Bell and frontline bowlers James Anderson, Stuart Broad and Graeme Swann from the ongoing ODIs against arch-rivals Australia.
According to Sport24, following England`s selection, which they claimed was in favour of resting the un-included players for the return Ashes, Vaughan wrote on Twitter that fans should get refunds as they had paid good money to watch their stars in action.
Stating that Vaughan was being harsh in criticizing the selection, Giles said that he believes that Vaughan made the comment too quickly without judging the circumstances, adding that the present ODI side is an exciting squad to come and watch.
According to Giles, Kevin Pietersen, Michael Carberry, Jonathan Trott, Joe Root, Eoin Morgan, Ravi Bopara and Steven Finn are some good names to watch, adding that he hopes that the fans would want them to bring young cricketers to expose them to playing against Australia, which he termed as the harshest of all environments.
However, the report said that in the absence of the senior quintet and the injured Tim Bresnan, a new-look England side suffered an 88-run thrashing in the second ODI at Old Trafford on Sunday, with Australia captain Michael Clarke scoring a hundred as the tourists went 1-0 up with three to play following Friday`s washout in Leeds.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win