Graham Ford set to replace Marsh as Sri Lanka coach
Colombo: Geoff Marsh`s unimpressive four-month stint as Sri Lanka coach is almost over with the SLC set to appoint former South Africa coach Graham Ford as the Australian`s successor.
Ford coached the Proteas for two years from 1999 to 2001, taking over from the late Bob Woolmer.
An official announcement on this is likely to be made after the one-day series against South Africa, `ESPNcricinfo` has reported.
Under Marsh, Sri Lanka have lost three and won one of the five Tests they played. The only win, though, was their first ever in South Africa.
They have also lost seven of the nine ODIs they have played.
Ford will be the third coach appointed by Sri Lanka since Trevor Bayliss stepped down after leading them to the 2011 World Cup final.
Marsh was appointed for two years in September, 2011 and was in charge for the series against Pakistan and South Africa.
Stuart Law, who was Bayliss` assistant, took over for the England tour before quitting to coach Bangladesh. Rumesh Ratnayake then took over for the home series against Australia, before Marsh`s appointment.
Ford this week resigned as head coach of the Dolphins, the Durban-based franchise.
After his stint with the Proteas, Ford moved to Kent as director of cricket in 2004, and in 2006, returned home to take charge of the Dolphins.
In June 2007, he was offered the challenge of coaching India but declined.
In 2009, he withdrew his name from the shortlist of candidates for the England coaching job.
The islanders have come in for sharp criticism for their lacklustre performance since reaching the World Cup final, and there is a possibility that skipper Tillakaratne Dilshan might also be replaced by Mahela Jayawardene.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Malegaon blasts case: Narendra Modi government should sack NIA chief, demands Congress
- Another blow to YS Jaganmohan Reddy, ED attaches assets worth Rs 749.10 crore
- Toyota recalls 3.37 million cars over airbag, emissions control issues
- 7th Central Pay Commission: 14 key facts that all government employees must know
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra to campaign outside Amethi and Rae Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections?