Hashim Amla lauded for being ranked best batsman by ICC
Johannesburg: Senior batsman Hashim Amla has been lauded in South Africa as a role model after he achieved the number one status in the ICC rankings in both Tests and one day internationals recently.
The Indian origin cricketer, Amla is the first batsman to hold the title of best batsman in the world in both Tests and ODI`s since former Australian captain Ricky Ponting.
"We congratulate Hash (Amla) on his fantastic achievement. He is a fabulous example to our youth, our country and the world in general," said Alan Norton, Amla`s former coach at Durban High School, where his talent was first identified.
Faeez Jaffar, President of KwaZulu Natal Cricket Union said: "Hashim`s success can only be attributed to his hard work, his dedication, his passion for the game and not forgetting his humility.
"Hashim has become the benchmark for all Sportsmen and Women in South Africa," said Jesse Chellan, CEO of KwaZulu Natal Cricket Union.
"He has achieved global success and recognition within cricket. This is an incredible achievement in itself, but equally important, it is the manner in which he conducts himself on and off the field. He is worthy of the tag of `role model` and `hero` to our next generation of cricketers and sport stars," Chellan added.
But in his typical humble style, Amla preferred to pass the credit to other members of the Proteas for their successes of the past year, singling out Jacques Kallis and Dale Steyn as `tireless workhorses` who inspired the rest of the team.
Amla was on the ICC shortlist for Cricketer of the Year in both 20111 and 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000