Hayden blames Clarke`s premature captaincy for leadership drought in Oz
Sydney: Australian Test great Matthew Hayden has said that he believed that the decision to appoint Michael Clarke as captain from a young age instead of grooming a group of candidates contributed to a lost generation of leaders.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the absence of strong leaders was laid bare with the `homework` fiasco in India, and in the chaotic prelude to the Ashes, which culminated with the sacking of former coach Mickey Arthur.
Urging Cricket Australia (CA) to invest heavily in the next group of potential captains, Hayden mentioned that he raised concerns about the leadership void when he was a CA director, saying that CA made a mistake in promoting Clarke as captain at the age of 21 as it failed to develop a strong, vibrant community of leaders.
Hayden, who shared Australia`s most successful opening partnership with Justin Langer, also said that they had enjoyed leadership forums during his career, adding that at that time, the players were advised by keynote presenters in a number of tasks like thinking like a captain and finding great role models in the current leaders.
Stating that it would take time for coach Darren Lehmann to get players to buy into a strong team culture, Hayden further said that players need to feel secure about their spots first, adding that as the Indian fiasco brought out the poor leadership culture, the team is in urgent need of the best leadership program the game has ever seen.
The recall of the experienced, resilient Brad Haddin as vice-captain has helped plug the leadership gap in England, but CA has asked states to identify emerging leaders in an attempt to groom potential successors to Clarke, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic