Hussey endorses Cricket Australia’s decision to send Watson home early
Sydney: Michael Hussey, who is playing for the Chennai Super Kings in the Champions League, has endorsed Cricket Australia’s controversial decision to send all-rounder Shane Watson home early from the Twenty20 event.
He said it would not be beneficial for him to miss the tournament because it would rob him of valuable competitive cricket to prepare for next month’s bumper series against South Africa.
Watson is due to arrive back home on Friday or Saturday after completing his Champions League duties for Sydney Sixers.
His departure has angered Sixers officials because it means he will not be available for the business end of the lucrative tournament, which has a 2.5 million dollars prize for the winner, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
“The workload he has got on his body having to bowl and bat in the top order, it’s a smart move. He needs to be managed and managed well,” Hussey said.
“We saw the benefits of him having a break before the World Twenty20 and he was fresh. His body was good and he was able to perform brilliantly in that tournament. Hopefully, we can see the same benefits again leading into the start of the Australian summer,” he said.
Hussey is glad he has not been asked to withdraw from Chennai’s squad.
The left-hander is confident one Shield game for WA will be enough for him to make the adjustment from Twenty20 to Test cricket.
Hussey’s position is at odds with the stance he took two years ago when he pleaded with CA to pull him out of the Champions League so he could join his Test teammates for a series in India.
CA, which has a stake in the Champions League, did not grant his wish. Hussey made a minimal contribution with the bat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof