I was expecting a double century from Sehwag: Rhodes
Aurangabad: Former South African cricketer Jonty Rhodes on Thursday said he was not suprised to see India`s swashbuckling opener Virender Sehwag scoring a record 219 in one-day international.
"I expected him to score a double century in ODIs as he is capable of playing fast and fearless cricket," he said while talking to reporters here in central Maharashtra. To a question, Rhodes said with the introduction of T20 cricket, there is no need of having two innings of 25 overs each in ODIs matches as suggested by some people.
Rhodes was is in the city for three days to train budding cricketers.
He said cricketers today are not much aware about the importance of fielding in winning matches. New cricketers need to be trained for diving safely and using correct techniques.
"Fielding is an art. In T20 matches, saving singles would definitely affect the final result," the veteran of 56 Tests and 245 ODIs said. "Runs saved is runs scored."
Citing the examples of Mohammed Azharuddin, Sachin Tendulkar and Mohammed Kaif, Rhodes said they were very good fielders.
"Team India is a good fielding side," the former South African cricketer said and singled out Tendulkar for his efforts on the field.
According to him, some of the best fielders in the current era are Herschelle Gibbs, Paul Collingwood, AB de Villiers, and JP Duminy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India