Clarke says pub brawl had an impact on his leadership
London: Down with a recurrent back injury, Australia`s regular skipper Michael Clarke says the actions of David Warner and other team-mates in Birmingham had an "impact on his leadership".
"It certainly has an impact on the leadership. There`s no doubt about it," Clarke said.
Opener Warner was suspended by Cricket Australia until the start of the Ashes series and fined after attacking England`s Joe Root in a bar.
Warner along with a few other players found themselves out drinking at Birmingham pub late at night last week following Australia`s 48-run loss to England in the ICC Champions Trophy.
"To be out at that hour ? carrying on like we were celebrating (after a loss) - especially with the opposition - is not the right time or place to be having a few drinks," Clarke was quoted as saying by `AAP`.
"I know that I need to continue to work on my leadership and make sure I`m doing everything I can in my power for things like this not to happen."
The incident had raised fresh concerns about the culture of the Australian cricket team going into the Ashes.
In March, four Australia players -- Shane Watson, James Pattinson, Mitchell Johnson and Usman
Khawaja -- were dropped by coach Mickey Arthur for the third Test in India after failing to submit feedback requested by the team management.
"I think we as a leadership group need to continue to try and improve. I do believe we have come a long way in regards to the culture of this team and setting up our behaviour standards and what we feel is acceptable and non-acceptable. As captain of this team I don`t shy away from any accountability," Clarke said.
The Australian skipper further added, "It not only has an impact on Dave, it has an impact on the team, it has an impact on our supporters. The people that come and watch and support our great game.
"We don`t want to be letting anyone down. We`ve got enough to focus on on the field to become the best team we can be. And we definitely don`t need these distractions off the field."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre