Ex-Indian opener Sidhu says omitting Afridi for Champions Trophy `a huge blunder`
Karachi: Former Indian opener Navjot Sidhu has called the omitting Pakistani all-rounder Shahid Afridi for the ICC Champions Trophy as a `huge blunder`, saying that Afridi`s absence had a big part in Pakistan`s dismal show in the tournament, which ended after a thrashing at the hands of India in Birmingham.
Although Afridi has only scored 142 runs and taken just three wickets in nine one-days in the past year, however, Sidhu said that he believed that the all-rounder`s presence in the side would have been an advantage for Pakistan on the field as the team ended the tournament failing to win a single match.
Stating that Afridi is a world-class player, Sidhu said that although the player was not in form, he would have performed his best in a big tournament like the Champions Trophy, adding that by leaving Afridi out, Pakistan handed half the advantage to the opposition even before taking the field.
Sidhu further said that Afridi would have come in handy as Pakistan was missing an all-rounder as well as someone with the ability to use the long handle lower down in the order.
Ruing the inconsequential nature of the India-Pakistan clash at Edgbaston, Sidhu further said that he was disappointed by Pakistan`s dismal batting performance in the tournament, adding that the batsmen were hesitant, defensive and lacked confidence, even the senior ones.
However, Sidhu gave his approval to Pakistan`s bowling line-up, especially a `rejuvenated` Wahab Riaz, saying that although he was also impressed with Junaid Khan and Saeed Ajmal, Wahab`s speed and ability to move the ball has made him an interesting bowler to look at.
Stating that the Indo-Pakistan clash did not live up to its pre-tournament hype because there was not enough at stake, Sidhu also said that he expected the Pakistani batsmen to have done enough for the team, adding that that way there might have been a better game with perhaps elimination or progress riding on the outcome.
India eased to an eight-wicket victory at Edgbaston on Saturday in a match that was disrupted by frequent rain-delays, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi