ICC to hold its 1st World Test Championship in England in 2017
London: The International Cricket Council announced its much awaited World Test Championship which will have its inaugural edition in England during the month of June and July in the year 2017 while the second edition will be held in India in 2021.
According to ICC media release "The IDI Board confirmed that the ICC World Test Championship will be staged in 2017 and England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will host the inaugural event in June/July 2017, while the second edition will be held in India in February/March 2021."
ICC`s Chief Executive David Richardson also put the speculations to rest about ICC Champions Trophy being continued.
"The ICC Champions Trophy in England and Wales was highly acclaimed and appreciated by all. However, the principle of one pinnacle global event for each of the three formats over a four-year cycle is a good one and, as such, the ICC Board has agreed to replace the Champions Trophy with the ICC World Test Championship," Richardson was quoted as saying in the press release.
The ICC Board supported the strategy of ensuring an optimum balance between the three formats of the game - especially Test cricket - and approved the recommendation that the Full Members should play a minimum of 16 Tests in each four-year cycle.
In order to ensure that all ODIs played over the four-year cycle between ICC Cricket World Cups count towards a team?s ranking, the ICC Board agreed to change the ODI rankings period from three years to four years.
For the sake of consistency, the ICC Board also agreed to change the calculation of the T20 rankings to cover the same period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what