ICC World Twenty20 Qualifier UAE begins tomorrow
Dubai: Two places in this year`s ICC World Twenty20 will be up for grabs when 16 teams vie for honours at the UAE Qualifiers which gets under way at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Tuesday.
The ICC World Twenty20 is scheduled to be held in Sri Lanka from September 18 to October 7 and 16 Associate and Affiliate Member nations will have the chance to fight it out for the two available places during the UAE Qualifiers.
Afghanistan will open its title defence against Papua New Guinea in the opening match at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium, while Ireland will square-off against Namibia next door at the ICC GCA No.2 ground.
A total of 72 matches will be played at five venues across Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Sharjah from March 13 to 24, with free entry for spectators for all matches.
The first qualifier will emerge on March 22 after the 61st match while the winner of the 71st match, to be played on the final morning of the tournament, will decide the second qualifier.
The two qualifiers will then lock horns in the tournament finale on the final evening and the side that wins the match will not only lift the trophy but will also join Australia and the West Indies in Group B.
The losing team will complete Group A which also includes defending champion England and 2007 winner India.
Afghanistan, Canada, Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands and Scotland have earned direct qualification into the ICC World Twenty20 UAE Qualifier by virtue of finishing in the top six of the ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier South Africa 2009.
The remaining 10 sides have come through the 12 regional qualifying tournaments. No less than 88 affiliated member countries featured in these regional tournaments. The 16 sides have been divided into two groups of eight, with defending champion and top seed Afghanistan topping Group A and number-two seed Ireland heading Group B.
Other sides in Group A are Netherlands, Canada, Papua New Guinea (PNG), Hong Kong, Bermuda, Denmark and Nepal while Group B also includes Kenya, Scotland, Namibia, Uganda, Oman, Italy and the United States of America (USA).
Another key feature of the tournament will be the presence of five-time ICC Umpire of the Year, Simon Taufel, who is one of the 12 umpires who will be officiating in the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp