Dhoni should be rested as captain from all 3 formats: Gavaskar
New Delhi: Batting great Sunil Gavaskar reckons that Mahendra Singh Dhoni should "take a break" from Indian cricket captaincy and Virat Kohli will be an ideal replacement as he can bring in the "necessary flair like Tiger Pataudi."
"It`s still early days as far as 2015 World Cup is concerned but I believe that a break in captaincy will do wonders for Dhoni. I am not saying that it has to happen during the middle of a series but may be after the Australia series or later part of 2013. We need to have a look at that," Gavaskar said.
The legendary opener felt that a break might give Dhoni an opportunity to put things into perspective and reflect on his game and leadership.
"The break might be a voluntary one or an enforced break. But he needs time to reflect on his game and come back in a better way. I am very impressed in the manner he remains cool and unlike other captain doesn`t clap and all but a little break won`t be bad. Captaining India is a high privilege but the demands and pressures that come with it are incredible," Gavaskar told NDTV.
Gavaskar named young Virat Kohli as Dhoni`s possible successor.
"I could be wrong but Virat Kohli might bring the flair of Tiger Pataudi in his captaincy. If he knows that he will be appointed for long term, he has the dynamism, the aggression, panache and class. I like everything about him apart from his mouthing abuses when he reaches a milestone. I don`t want him to change anything else as he can bring a lot of dynamism."
When asked whether Dhoni could remain in the team only as a player, Gavaskar answered, "Why not? He can be part of the team for the next couple of years as he is a match-winner."
One of the most prominent voices of Indian cricket, Gavaskar questioned the logic behind the national selectors reportedly asking Dhoni for a blueprint of World Cup 2015.
"I am a bit surprised because the selection committee gets one year term and how can one be sure that they are going to be there in 2014 to prepare a team for 2015."
With reports emerging that coach Duncan Fletcher`s contract may not be renewed after the Australia series, Gavaskar said that an Indian should be appointed in the hot seat.
"I would like it to be an Indian coach or somebody who is like Gary Kirsten. Kirsten had scored lots of runs in ODI and Tests and brought along a certain work ethic as he had done it all. If you have a champion cricketer, he can help you get better."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'