India-Pakistan teams` joint New Year bash cancelled
Kolkata: With the Indian cricket board allowing its players a day off on the New Year`s eve, the proposed joint New Year celebration by the India and Pakistan cricket teams ahead of their game at the Eden Gardens here has been cancelled, a cricket official said on Sunday.
"Though we had planned the joint celebrations, the same has been cancelled as team India players will be enjoying a much-deserved day off with their families in their respective homes on the New Year`s eve," said Cricket Association of Bengal (CAB) treasurer Biswarup Dey.
Both the squads were slated to arrive in the city Monday for the second One-Day International to be played Jan 3, but now the hosts would arrive in batches Tuesday.
The Pakistan team would arrive as slated.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, who was expected to be present at the match, is also likely to give it a miss in the wake of the gang-rape and death of a Delhi girl.
"The prime minister would be in the city to inaugurate the Centenary Session of the Indian Science Congress Jan 3, and we had plans to invite him for the match. But in the wake of the tragedy, he is unlikely to be present for the game," a CAB official said.
The CAB, however, has invited several former India players and captains, including Kapil Dev and Dilip Vengsarkar, for the second game of the three-match ODI series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India