India`s Test team will only improve with time: Dhoni
New Delhi: India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni says he is satisfied with the team`s performance in the shorter formats and, with time, it will translate into Tests as well.
Reacting to Sunil Gavaskar`s comments that the Indian Test team looks the most vulnerable in three decades, Dhoni said Wednesday that "on paper it might look the weakest" but he was confident that the team will only improve with time.
"On paper it may look the weakest. It is a different looking team after the retirement of Rahul bhai (Dravid) and V.V.S.Laxman. But we are also a very different side on the field. Slowly we are growing in confidence and I am hopeful that this team will only improve with time," said Dhoni at the launch of his gym Sportsfit.
Dhoni said the team was looking forward to the hectic six months ahead during which India host England, Pakistan and Australia. The four-match Test series against England starts Nov 15.
"The team has a busy time ahead with the home series against England, Pakistan Australia. We will try our best against England. We will try to do good and focus on the specifics. We need to be fit for the gruelling time ahead. The side is doing well in the one-day format and it will take some time to get back to the top of Test cricket," said Dhoni.
Endorsing the view of his team mates Virat Kohli and Harbhajan Singh on preparing turning tracks at home, Dhoni said he was looking forward to see spinners ruling the roost in the four-match Test series against England.
"It has been a while since I have seen spinners dominating a Test match. I would want to see that against England. We usually take the advice from the curators before a game. He knows the wicket best. We generally put in a requisition on the type of pitch we would prefer for a game. But at the end of the day, the groundsmen know the best.
"If you talk about a sporting pitch, there is no such definition for it. However, when you come to the sub-continent you get turning tracks here. But we want to improve our game by playing on all kinds of surfaces," he said.
As the topic of discussion was fitness, Dhoni shared his thoughts on the fittest player in the team.
"I think Virat Kohli is the fittest at the moment. Manoj (Tiwary) is another guy who is very fit," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400