Sussex manager says media has `hunted Prior mercilessly`
London: English county club Sussex manager Mark Robinson has said that media `mercilessly hunted` England wicketkeeper Matt prior, which prompted him to take the decision to stand down from national duty for the rest of the summer.
Prior had said injury was the reason he stood down this week after England lost the second Test to India at Lord`s by 95 runs.
However, Robinson, who believes otherwise, said that the media has hunted Prior mercilessly and made his position and Alastair Cook`s job difficult for any player, The BBC reported.
Robinson said that with Matt carrying injuries it probably got a bit too much and he has done the right thing to pull himself out. He added that everybody scrutinizes every move Prior does, which almost makes it impossible for him to do his job, as it is for the England captain.
Robinson said that every move Prior and Cook make is under enormous pressure.
Prior, who plays for Sussex as wicketkeeper, was restored to the Test team against Sri Lanka in June having been dropped for the final two matches of the Ashes tour of Australia in the winter.
The Sussex wicketkeeper, who was voted England Cricketer of the Year for 2012-13, struggled with an Achilles injury while playing for England in April, and tore his quad in the lead-up to the first Test against India at Trent Bridge earlier this month.Robinson also said that Prior did not go in with the best health, but he is a warrior, a tough guy and for him to say enough is enough, then he must be hurting.
Robinson said that Prior can take stock of himself, do what he needs to do on his Achilles and get himself ready to properly put his name in the ring.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'