Ajinkya Rahane's success in South Africa could make him permanent in Tests
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
New Delhi: Ajinkya Rahane is unquestionably one of the most technically sound batsman in the current Indian team. The right-hander, who has done wonders in Indian domestic cricket, impressed everybody with his determination against the fearsome South African pace attack.
Rahane played a patient knock of 47 runs in the first innings of the first Test match before nicking one to AB de Villiers off Vernon Philander. But the 25-year-old learned from his mistakes in the first Test, and registered his maiden half-century in the first innings of the Durban Test. But it was his determination in the second innings which impressed everybody.
When Team India came to bat on the last day of the second Test match, they had their two most dependable batsmen – Cheteshwar Pujara and Virat Kohli at the crease. But Kohli was dismissed by Steyn off the first ball of the day and very soon, India were struggling at 157/4. It was from there onwards that Rahane stitched small but crucial partnerships with the tail-enders and when needed, played some aggressive strokes against the likes of Steyn and Morkel. Unfortunately, he fell just four runs short of his maiden Test ton, but he had proved a point to everybody before walking back to the pavilion.
The Indian batting line-up currently lacks mature players who can put a prize on their wicket. While Pujara and Kohli are certainly the future of Indian cricket, Ajinkya Rahane is like to join the league very soon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says