India becomes the highest run scoring team in ODI history
Zee Media Bureau/Suyash Srivastava
Johannesburg: History was created in the first ODI match between India and South Africa when Shikhar Dhawan scored his first boundary and India became the highest run scoring team in ODI history.
All eyes were on the Indian openers as they came to the field to chase down the massive total against South Africa. Everybody knew India needed just one run for the feat and they had to wait for eight balls, as Steyn began with a maiden and Tsotsobe bowled two dot balls in the second over. But the third ball was slightly pitched up and Dhawan punched that past mid-off for a boundary.
Ahead of the first ODI between India and South African, India and Australia were levelled on 1,82,881 runs from 841 (a world record) and 825 matches respectively. But India broke the record the moment Dhawan got off the mark with that boundary.
The Aussies though have far better winning percentage as they have won 505 matches as against 423 of India. Pakistan are at the third spot among countries which have scored most ODI runs with 1,71,982 from 807 matches, followed by Sri Lanka on 146365 and the West Indies on 145260.
India are likely to remain on top for some time as they will play five ODIs against New Zealand after the three-match ODI series against South Africa. On the other hand, Australia will be playing five ODIs against England after the Ashes series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Bella Thorne comes out as bisexual via Twitter
- Shraddha Kapoor sought to judge music reality TV show?
- Big boost for PM Modi! US voices concerns over human rights situation in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
- Lodha panel secretary accused BCCI selectors of taking sexual favours, reveals Ajay Shirke
- TMC govt cracks down on 'Narayani Sena', bans training camps in Cooch Behar district