Kemar Roach out from remaining India tour, Kieron Pollard ousted from ODIs
Mumbai: The struggling West Indies cricket team has been dealt a couple of injury blows in its ongoing tour of India with pacer Kemar Roach ruled out of the remainder of the trip and all-rounder Kieron Pollard rendered unavailable for the ODI series.
Roach has been ruled out of the second and final Test along with the one-dayers due to a shoulder injury, while Pollard has been rested from the ODIs due to an undisclosed niggle.
West Indies team physiotherapist CJ Clark said Roach`s injury is uncommon among cricketers.
"Kemar has not made the expected recovery from the shoulder injury that kept him out of the first Test and he is returning to the Caribbean for ongoing management and subsequent physical rehabilitation," said Clark.
Shannon Gabriel has been selected to replace his fellow fast bowler and is expected to arrive in India in time for consideration for selection in the second Test which opens on Thursday at the Wankhede Stadium here.
The 25-year-old Roach has been the bright spark in the West Indies attack over the last three years in particular.
He has taken 85 wickets at 27.71 runs apiece in 23 Tests and has risen in the ICC Test bowling rankings to become the only West Indian in the Top-20 at 14th.
"We`re sad to announce that Kemar has to return home to the Caribbean and will not have an opportunity on this tour, where we felt he could have made a major difference," said West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson.
West Indies trail 0-1 against in the series, following an innings and 51-run defeat inside three days in the first Test that ended on Friday at Eden Gardens here.
The second Test is also expected to be a grand affair here given that the city is home for India`s batting icon Sachin Tendulkar, who will be playing his 200th and final Test.
The match will also mark the 150th Test for durable West Indies left-handed batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul.
Meanwhile, in the 15-member one-day squad chosen for the three-match series starting November 21, Kieran Powell, Veerasammy Permaul and Narsingh Deonarine have been recalled.
Powell, Permaul and Deonarine last played for West Indies in the ODIs against Zimbabwe and were not a part of the squad for the Champions Trophy.
In the previous series between India and West Indies here, the visitors lost 1-4.
West Indies ODI Squad: Dwayne Bravo (capt), Tino Best, Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Narsingh Deonarine, Chris Gayle, Jason Holder, Sunil Narine, Veerasammy Permaul, Kieran Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi