Kemar Roach out from remaining India tour, Kieron Pollard ousted from ODIs
Mumbai: The struggling West Indies cricket team has been dealt a couple of injury blows in its ongoing tour of India with pacer Kemar Roach ruled out of the remainder of the trip and all-rounder Kieron Pollard rendered unavailable for the ODI series.
Roach has been ruled out of the second and final Test along with the one-dayers due to a shoulder injury, while Pollard has been rested from the ODIs due to an undisclosed niggle.
West Indies team physiotherapist CJ Clark said Roach`s injury is uncommon among cricketers.
"Kemar has not made the expected recovery from the shoulder injury that kept him out of the first Test and he is returning to the Caribbean for ongoing management and subsequent physical rehabilitation," said Clark.
Shannon Gabriel has been selected to replace his fellow fast bowler and is expected to arrive in India in time for consideration for selection in the second Test which opens on Thursday at the Wankhede Stadium here.
The 25-year-old Roach has been the bright spark in the West Indies attack over the last three years in particular.
He has taken 85 wickets at 27.71 runs apiece in 23 Tests and has risen in the ICC Test bowling rankings to become the only West Indian in the Top-20 at 14th.
"We`re sad to announce that Kemar has to return home to the Caribbean and will not have an opportunity on this tour, where we felt he could have made a major difference," said West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson.
West Indies trail 0-1 against in the series, following an innings and 51-run defeat inside three days in the first Test that ended on Friday at Eden Gardens here.
The second Test is also expected to be a grand affair here given that the city is home for India`s batting icon Sachin Tendulkar, who will be playing his 200th and final Test.
The match will also mark the 150th Test for durable West Indies left-handed batsman Shivnarine Chanderpaul.
Meanwhile, in the 15-member one-day squad chosen for the three-match series starting November 21, Kieran Powell, Veerasammy Permaul and Narsingh Deonarine have been recalled.
Powell, Permaul and Deonarine last played for West Indies in the ODIs against Zimbabwe and were not a part of the squad for the Champions Trophy.
In the previous series between India and West Indies here, the visitors lost 1-4.
West Indies ODI Squad: Dwayne Bravo (capt), Tino Best, Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Narsingh Deonarine, Chris Gayle, Jason Holder, Sunil Narine, Veerasammy Permaul, Kieran Powell, Denesh Ramdin, Ravi Rampaul, Darren Sammy, Marlon Samuels, Lendl Simmons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal