Waqar asked us to bowl like in Test: Sammy
Mohali: Sunrisers Hyderabad all-rounder Darren Sammy says their bowling coach Waqar Younis had advised them to bowl like they "do in Test" cricket, when they played Kings XI Punjab in an Indian Premier League (IPL) match here.
On a PCA pitch that had a sprinkling of grass on the good-length area, Hyderabad yesterday defeated Punjab by 30 runs to consolidate their position in the table.
"On that wicket you don`t have to do much. With the grass on the good-length, our coach, Waqar Younis asked us to bowl like we do in a Test match - just put the ball on that one spot and let the pitch do the rest," Sammy said.
Sammy finished with impressive figures of 4 for 22, as Kings XI could manage only 120 for nine in response to Sunrisers` 150.
Besides sending back Adam Gilchrist and Shaun Marsh, Sammy also got the wicket of David Miller, who had smashed a 38-ball 101 against Royal Challengers Bangalore at the same venue last week.
"All of them have been dangerous at different times in the tournament but David Miller, especially. Our plan was to bowl on good length to him and let him try to have a go at us.
"Even though he scored a 100 in 38 balls a couple of games back, Saturday he was starting on naught. He made a mistake and we got the result."
Working with Waqar and Dale Steyn at Sunrisers, Sammy said, was proving quite beneficial to his bowling.
"There`s so much of experience there. The one thing I have picked from them is to be clear. Make sure when you`re on the top of your mark, you know what ball you`re going to bowl - if it`s a yorker, slower one, length ball, bouncer, whatever it is.
"When you start running in, no matter what the batsman does, you know that is the ball that`s going to come out of your hand."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves