Inverarity says teaching dubious ‘doosras’ to young spinners threat to CA’s integrity
Sydney: Chairman of selectors John Inverarity has claimed teaching young spin bowlers the art of bowling the unconventional delivery doosra would be a threat to Australian cricket’s integrity.
The doosra, which turns from leg to off with an off spinner`s action, has been a key weapon for leading slow bowlers in Test cricket, such as Sri Lanka`s retired world-record holder Muttiah Muralidaran, countryman Ajantha Mendis, India`s Harbhajan Singh, Pakistan`s Saeed Ajmal and West Indian Sunil Narine.
Muralitharan, whose doosra has provoked massive controversy in recent years over the legality of his action, said last month in an interview that he felt Australia`s coaching system was too closely controlled and it drained the creativity out of young spinners, but Inverarity is advocating caution.
“That`s a question of integrity for Cricket Australia. If you`re going to bowl a doosra, that`s how you do it,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Inverarity, as saying when asked if bowling doosra was a part of chucking.
“It`s a serious issue. We`ve got to keep our integrity. We`ve got to teach our bowlers to bowl properly,” he added.
“I`m all for them learning it but it has got to be within the rules, for the integrity of the game and Australia``s cricket heritage,” he said.
Inverarity added: “We should always run a measure over them to make sure they`re bowling legitimately (according to the 15-degree threshold rule for elbow flexion).”
Inverarity also admitted Australia`s spin-bowling stocks are low, with Test off spinner Nathan Lyon set to be named on Monday in the squad for the November 9 first Test against South Africa at the Gabba after Jon Holland was ruled out of the summer with a surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read