BCCI delays IPL launch press conference in Dubai
Zee Media Bureau/Chaitan Papnai
New Delhi: The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Thursday postponed the launching press conference of India Premier `s League (IPL) seventh edition, which was scheduled to take place in UAE today, shortly after the Supreme Court made strong observations against Board`s chief N Srinivasan.
The apex court today proposed the BCCI that Chennai Super Kings (CSK) and the Rajasthan Royals (RR) - the two teams at the centre of an ongoing probe into illegal betting and match-fixing - should be barred from the next edition of the IPL beginning next month.
"We are not removing anyone now, but Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals will not be allowed to participate in the IPL which commences on April 16," Justice AK Patnaik said at a hearing.
The apex court also stated that players who are associated with India cement, a company owned by BCCI chief N Srinivasan, should also not participate in the forthcoming edition of cash-rich IPL.
It means, IPL which is scheduled to kick-start from April 16 is under serious doubts.
The news has certainly pushed the BCCI on the back-foot, as the SC also recommended that batting legend Sunil Gavaskar should take over as interim president of the cricket board in place of the embattled incumbent N Srinivasan.
"In the place of Srinivasan, we propose to appoint an experienced cricket player like Sunil Gavaskar to replace him and function as BCCI president,” Patnaik, who is head of the two-judge panel, said.
The proposals came two days after the same court urged Srinivasan to step down as president of the BCCI to enable a "fair" investigation into allegations surrounding last year`s IPL.
The bench is examining a damning report it commissioned into wrongdoing in last year`s edition of the annual Twenty20 tournament.
Released in February, the report concluded that Srinivasan`s son-in-law Gurunath Meiyappan could be guilty of illegal betting on IPL games.
Srinivasan is regarded as the most powerful man in world cricket and is due to take over in July as head of the International Cricket Council.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo