IPL spot fixing case: Court issues NBWs against 3 Dawood aides
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday issued 'open' non-bailable warrants (NBWs) against three close aides of underworld don Dawood Ibrahim in connection with the IPL spot fixing scandal after the police said they had played a key role in the entire conspiracy.
Special Cell of Delhi Police moved an application in the court seeking issuance of open NBWs against Pakistan-based Dr Javed Chutani, Salman alias Master and Ehteysham, who all are considered to be close associates of Dawood, saying they are based in Karachi and Lahore and were instrumental in the conspiracy behind spot fixing during the IPL matches.
"The crux of the argument is that it is not possible to execute warrants to these accused in Pakistan...In view of the above, issue open NBWs against three accused as requested," Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma said.
An NBW is termed as 'open' when no time limit is fixed for its execution.
The police also moved a separate plea in the court, seeking issuance of NBWs against four alleged bookies-Sanjay Aggarwal, Mohd Shakeel Amir, Praveen Kumar G Thakkar and Sandeep Sharma, saying that during interrogation of other arrested accused, their names had cropped up but they are absconding to evade arrest.
The court allowed the plea, saying, "Let NBWs be issued against these four accused persons as requested, returnable by September 30, 2013."
The police had on July 30 filed its charge sheet in the case, alleging that Dawood and Chhota Shakeel, who have been "controlling the fixing and betting market" in cricket in India, were behind the IPL spot-fixing scandal.
The police, which named 39 persons as accused including Rajasthan Royals' S Sreesanth, Ankeet Chavan and Ajit Chandila, has said the syndicate run by Dawood and his aide had been actively operating from safe havens, with the singular objective of de-stabilising Indian security, sovereignty and economic stability.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof