IPL spot fixing: Police enter Gurunath`s residence in Chennai
Chennai: Mumbai Police have finally entered the residence of the Principal of Chennai Super Kings, Gurunath Meiyappan.
Gurunath is the son-in-law of N. Srinivasan, President of the Board of Cricket Control in India. Meanwhile, Kolkata Police arrested ten bookies on Thursday from Kolkata. The bookies will now be produced in the Sealdah court today.
Meiyappan`s name has been figuring prominently in the interrogation of all those arrested so far, including Bollywood and television actor Vindoo Dara Singh. Gurunath Meiyappan`s questioning would revolve around his links with Vindoo and if he was involved in betting or was passing inside information about matches.
"Based on the outcome of the questioning, we will decide whether his actions fall under the domain of impropriety or invite legal action," the officer said yesterday.
Vindoo, interrogators said, has revealed that he was in touch with Gurunath during the ongoing T20 season - a fact corroborated by his call records. Police are trying to find out what the two spoke about.
Vindoo, allegedly linked to several bookies and cricketers, told the police he was introduced to Gurunath four-five years ago in Chennai by Anand Saxena, a Delhi-based bookmaker, and became friends with him.
He claimed he went to Chennai to watch a match on Gurunath`s invitation. The small-time actor has revealed that he made crores from betting on T20 matches, and his take-home from this season was Rs. 17 lakh. In the Capital, betting continues unabated despite police heat on bookies, Delhi cops said.
They also hinted at the possibility of a similar scandal in the Bangladesh Premier League, based on the questioning of arrested bookie Sunil Bhatia.
On Chandila`s involvement in the racket, an officer said, "Chandila received Rs. 25 lakh for the May 5 match from one set of bookies, Rs. 15 lakh for the May 17 match from another and Rs. 9 lakh from a third set of bookies.
Of this, he had to return Rs. 20 lakh for the first match since he forgot to give the pre-decided signal before bowling."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared