Ireland, Afghanistan qualify for 2014 Twenty20 World Cup
Dubai: Ireland and Afghanistan qualified for the ICC World Twenty20 Bangladesh 2014 after winning their respective matches in the ICC World Twenty20 qualifier UAE 2014 Sunday.
Ireland downed Hong Kong by 85 runs for their seventh successive victory while Afghanistan defeated Kenya by 34 runs, giving the Asian side their sixth win in seven matches.
Sunday`s results mean Ireland and Afghanistan have topped their respective groups and, as such, have qualified automatically for the event proper.
This is Ireland`s fourth successive qualification for the ICC World Twenty20 after participating in the 2009, 2010 and 2012 editions, whereas for Afghanistan, it will be the third time.
With four places in the ICC World Twenty20 Bangladesh 2014 still up for grabs, Hong Kong will face Nepal and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) will square off against the Netherlands Wednesday.
The two winners will also qualify for the Bangladesh event that will be staged from March 16 to April 6.
Also Wednesday, Namibia will take on Papua New Guinea (PNG) and Scotland will face Italy.
The winners of Namibia-PNG and Scotland-Italy matches will lock horns against the losers of Hong Kong-Nepal and UAE-Netherlands matches Thursday, with the two winners completing the line-up of the six qualifiers for the ICC World Twenty20 Bangladesh 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble