Islamabad HC issues contempt of court notice to PCB chief
Karachi: There was more trouble for the suspended chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Najam Sethi on Friday when the Islamabad High Court (IHC) issued him a contempt of court notice for continuing to perform his duties in the board in defiance of court orders.
The IHC has restrained Sethi from working as the PCB chief and ordered fresh elections in the board.
A citizen, Ahmed Nawaz filed the contempt application, seeking proceedings against Sethi for ignoring court orders.
The counsel for Nawaz, Advocate Abdul Razak Rajab in his contempt application had maintained that despite the court order Sethi was performing his duties which amounted to contempt of court.
"Sethi used contemptuous language against an IHC judge during a talk show of a TV channel and also on social website Twitter, saying that he is still the chairman of the board," Rajab told the court.
A two member bench of the IHC today while hearing the petition ordered issuance of contempt of court notice to the suspended PCB chief.
Pakistan cricket has been in a state of constant turmoil since July when Sethi was appointed as acting Chairman of the board by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif after the IHC judge, Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui, on a constitutional writ petition had declared the elections of Zaka Ashraf in May as null and void.
More drama followed when the same judge also stopped Sethi from exercising his powers as Chairman and on October 29, Justice Shaukat Aziz Siddiqui had suspended Sethi and barred him from performing his duties for failing to comply with a legal order to elect a permanent PCB chairman.
However, after a couple of hours, a division bench, at the same court granted a stay order on the suspension ruling until November 4.
The IHC has appointed a former judge of the supreme court, Munir A Sheikh to conduct the elections of the board by the third week of November and ordered the PCB to pay him a fee of 2.5 million rupees besides bearing all his other expenses for this work.
The court has ordered the board to pay the amount to the retired judge three days after receiving the court order copy which the PCB says it got on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22