It`s not end of the road for Sahara-BCCI relations: PWI
New Delhi: Pune Warriors India are disappointed at being axed from the IPL but expressed hope that it would not be the end of the road as far as their relationship with the BCCI is concerned.
With a defiant Sahara group refusing to furnish the requisite bank guarantee, the BCCI today decided to terminate Pune warriors from the IPL after a meeting of its all-powerful working committee here.
When contacted a Pune Warriors India official said they did not appreciate the manner in which their contract was cancelled.
"The relationship has obviously gone sour and certainly we do not appreciate the manner in which the BCCI has decided to terminate the franchise contract," an official said on the condition of anonymity.
"We had our issues but at this point of time we wouldn`t like to conclude that this is the end of the road for the fruitful relationship that Sahara Parivar had shared with the BCCI," he said.
Sahara is the principal sponsor of Team India and the current tenure of the Jersey sponsorship ends on Dec 31, 2013.
Although no one wants to come on record but Sahara is expected to honour the current contract. However, the chances of applying for an extension are very dim.
The decision to terminate Pune would leave the IPL an eight-team affair for the time being.
The Pune Warriors have been on collision course with the BCCI after the Board encashed its bank guarantee for the 2013 season due to non-payment of franchise fee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Caught! Top model arrested in high-profile drug racket case — Know details
- Rs 40,000 crore Arunachal border road could be a liability, warns Indian Army
- Xiaomi Qicycle Electric Folding Bike: Features
- THIS Bollywood director has filed a defamation case against Kamaal R Khan! - Read more
- Anil Kumble pips Ravi Shastri to become new coach of Team India