Jadeja to replace Gambhir
London: All-rounder Ravindra Jadeja, who has not played a one-dayer for more than six months, on Wednesday replaced opener Gautam Gambhir in India's injury-ravaged cricket squad for the upcoming ODI series against England starting September 2.
Gambhir, who is nursing a mild concussion which has left his vision blurred, was ruled out of the five-match series on Tuesday.
Gambhir hurt himself when he fell backwards and banged his head against the ground while fielding in the final Test against England at the Oval.
"He was diagnosed of mild concussion by the attending sports physician and neurologist. He was sent for a precautionary CT and MRI scan of his head and neck which was reported as normal. He has been resting since and his symptoms have improved.
"However, he still complains of some visual disturbance and inability to focus on an object for long. The ophthalmologist (eye specialist) has reported Gautam's eyes as perfectly normal and the symptoms have been put down to the mild concussion," BCCI Secretary N Srinivasan said in a statement.
"Gautam has been advised to take rest and is expected to recover spontaneously without any further medical intervention. He will be returning to India shortly. Ravindra Jadeja has been chosen as his replacement," he added.
Gambhir has been replaced as the vice-captain of the side by Suresh Raina.
"Suresh Raina has been nominated as Vice-Captain for the ODI series," the release said.
In what is turning out to be a nightmare of a tour, Jadeja goes into the ODI series more than six months after his last ODI appearance for India (against New Zealand at Vadodara).
India were whitewashed 0-4 in the Test series after a string of injuries ruled out key players such as pace spearhead Zaheer Khan and opener Virender Sehwag.
The 22-year-old all-rounder has played 35 ODIs in all, making 535 runs at an average of 31.47. He has 29 wickets under his belt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users