Kaneria to seek damages from ECB for delaying appeal against life ban
Islamabad: Shamed Pakistani leg-spinner Danish Kaneria is looking for compensation from the English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) for delaying his appeal against the life-ban imposed on him last year. The 32-year-old`s appeal against the ban was adjourned until April 22 after Kaneria`s accuser, former Essex bowler Mervyn Westfield reportedly refused to appear in the hearing in December last year.
Kaneria, who is Pakistan`s most successful Test spinner with 261 wickets in 61 matches, was banned after Westfield named him in an England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) inquiry in June last year. Westfield was banned for five years, the paper said. Kaneria`s lawyer Farogh Naseem said his client was distraught by the delay in hearing his appeal, adding they would definitely seek compensation from the ECB, as because of the ban my client has been unable to play and earn a living. Naseem refused to disclose the exact figure but went on to say that it will be substantial, adding they feel that they not only have delayed the procedure, but they refused to allow an interim measure until it was decided, and his client should have been allowed to continue to play while the matter was settled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead