Kenya coach Hesson resigns
Nairobi: Kenya coach Mike Hesson resigned on Monday only ten months into his two-year contract citing security concerns, Cricket Kenya (CK) officials said.
The 37-year-old New Zealander, who took over from West Indian Eldine Baptiste in July 2011, said he was giving up the role "due to a number of security issues" that have affected his family.
"It is a very difficult decision we as a family have had to make but sadly we have been directly and indirectly affected by a number of security related incidents in recent weeks and my family has to come first," said Hesson, a father of two young daughters.
"I want to stress that this has absolutely nothing to do with the issues relating to my role as national coach and is not cricket related in any way. This is purely a decision about the safety of my family and quality of life.
"Whilst arrangements are being made for my wife and children to return to New Zealand as soon as possible, I will remain behind to complete any imminent national team engagements," Hesson added.
He will be in charge when Kenya hosts Namibia in a four-day ICC Intercontinental Cup qualifier next month, which will also include two one-day internationals and two unofficial Twenty20 matches.
Cricket officials have refused to speculate on Hesson`s sudden departure.
The former Otago coach was once shortlisted for the role as manager of the New Zealand Black Caps, whose current coach John Wright of Australia will step down in August. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing