Kumble appointed chief mentor of Mumbai Indians IPL team
Mumbai: Former India captain Anil Kumble was on Monday appointed chief mentor of the Mumbai Indians IPL team ahead of the start of the sixth season.
The 42-year-old Kumble not only holds the record of being the highest Indian wicket-taker in both Tests as well as ODIs but is also considered a highly respected sportsman the world over for his enormous experience and cricketing intelligence.
Commenting on his appointment, Kumble said, "In my discussion with Reliance Group Management, I find that they have a great and compelling vision for sports in this country, which aligns with my venture Tenvic Sports` aspirations in making `sports` as the main catalyst of youth development."
"Mumbai Indians is a very competitive team in the IPL with high-profile players and committed owners. It`s my honour to join the Mumbai Indians as Chief Mentor and to align our joint interest in making sports as an important agenda in youth development. I look forward to the new assignment," he said in a statement.
Mumbai Indians owner Nita Ambani said, "In Anil Kumble, we have a new Chief Mentor who has extensive cricketing knowledge not only as a player of international stature but also as an able administrator. He is one of India`s leading sporting icons and we have great pleasure in having him on board."
Royal Challengers Bangalore, where Kumble was holding the same post prior to joining MI, issued a statement regarding this.
"Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) and its Chief Mentor Anil Kumble have agreed to a separation with immediate effect. The parties have taken this consensual decision after considering various aspects. The parties have reaffirmed their mutual goodwill and have expressed satisfaction over the process of separation." the RCB said in a statement.
Kumble further stated, "I have had an enjoyable association with RCB, as player, captain and mentor. During this period we have achieved most of our objectives and RCB has emerged as one of the leading franchises in the IPL.
"I leave with happy memories. I am thankful to Dr. Vijay Mallya for offering me the role of Chief Mentor, a position that allowed me to observe the challenges of being a franchise owner from close quarters and develop a nuanced perspective of the commercial elements of sport.
Mallya said, "Anil has been a great asset to RCB as captain, chief mentor and advisor. He has helped shape the entire team and was instrumental in creating a unique sense of passion and commitment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in