Kumble slams Ponting for questioning Tendulkar over ‘Monkeygate’ scandal
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Former Indian spinner Anil Kumble on Friday dismissed Ricky Ponting’s jibe over Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar, where the former Australian captain questioned Tendulkar`s role in the ‘Monkeygate scandal’, claiming that he was taken aback by the senior Indian batsman`s statement which saved Harbhajan Singh.
In his memoirs -- titled `The Close of Play` -- Ponting said he didn`t understand why Tendulkar vouched for Harbhajan during the appeal hearing but did not say anything when match referee Mike Procter initially suspended the spinner for passing allegedly racial comments at all-rounder Andrew Symonds.
"I couldn`t understand why Sachin didn`t tell this to (match referee) Mike Procter in the first place," Ponting, captain of Australia at that time, wrote on the role of Tendulkar, who would retire from the game after his 200th Test next month.
Most of the Indian media is also taking it as publicity stunt from Ponting’s end to sell his book -- The Close of Play. Many cricketers in the past have written something controversial in their autobiographies to attract more readers.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- French Open 2016: Andy Murray, Stan Wawrinka face Czech challenge in Paris
- Iraq PM announces start of operation to retake Fallujah
- Amnesty warns Yemen civilians face cluster bombs `minefields`
- KTM 1290 Super Duke R based Husqvarna 1301 spotted testing
- 17 girls dead in fire at school dormitory in Thailand