Lalit Modi claims he was forced to leave India
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Days after the Indian government initiated fresh steps to bring back Lalit Modi to India from UK, the former IPL commissioner has claimed that he is being victimised in the financial irregularities case.
In a statement Modi, residing in UK for nearly two years, said that the Ministry of External Affairs is requesting to enforce his return to India for questioning based on innuendo and inaccurate reports.
Modi claimed that he was forced to leave India and denied claims that he has been evading the investigation.
Earlier, the Finance Ministry, sources said, had written to the External Affairs Ministry pointing out that Modi continues to stay in the UK for a long time even though his passport has been revoked.
The matter is, however, sub-judice. It had asked the Foreign Ministry to take the help of British authorities to get Modi back to India.
When contacted, Modi`s General Counsel and Constituted Attorney Mehmood M Abdi said that he is not aware of any such move by the Finance Ministry. Abdi added that "though it is an inter-ministerial correspondence to which I have no access, and therefore in absence of full details I cannot comment yet as reported by a section of media. If it is true then it`s very unfortunate."
"Allegations of ED are false and motivated by extraneous reasons and all show cause notices of ED have been replied by Modi. The replies are in public domain and are available on the website of Modi. The revocation of passport was also arbitrary," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday