Lalit Modi claims he was forced to leave India
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Days after the Indian government initiated fresh steps to bring back Lalit Modi to India from UK, the former IPL commissioner has claimed that he is being victimised in the financial irregularities case.
In a statement Modi, residing in UK for nearly two years, said that the Ministry of External Affairs is requesting to enforce his return to India for questioning based on innuendo and inaccurate reports.
Modi claimed that he was forced to leave India and denied claims that he has been evading the investigation.
Earlier, the Finance Ministry, sources said, had written to the External Affairs Ministry pointing out that Modi continues to stay in the UK for a long time even though his passport has been revoked.
The matter is, however, sub-judice. It had asked the Foreign Ministry to take the help of British authorities to get Modi back to India.
When contacted, Modi`s General Counsel and Constituted Attorney Mehmood M Abdi said that he is not aware of any such move by the Finance Ministry. Abdi added that "though it is an inter-ministerial correspondence to which I have no access, and therefore in absence of full details I cannot comment yet as reported by a section of media. If it is true then it`s very unfortunate."
"Allegations of ED are false and motivated by extraneous reasons and all show cause notices of ED have been replied by Modi. The replies are in public domain and are available on the website of Modi. The revocation of passport was also arbitrary," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand