Langer awed by ‘Big Show’ Maxwell’s performance in ‘pressure-cooker’ situations
Sydney: Former Australia Test opener Justin Langer has said he is very impressed by young all rounder Glenn Maxwell’s technique, confidence, attitude and most importantly his performances in pressure situations.
Nicknamed the Big Show because of his ability to hit hard and often, Maxwell has earned plenty of praise from various former players, and Langer also joined the ever-increasing list of his admirers.
“There’s a lot of rah rah about Glenn Maxwell and that he’s a very confident sort of guy, but fundamentally he’s got a very, very good technique, he plays with a straight bat, he’s got very fast hands and he’s quite a student of the game,” the Herald Sun quoted Langer, as saying.
Maxwell was the surprise selection for Australia’s recent tour of the UAE and announced himself in authoritative style, winning Australia the third one-day match and the series against Pakistan with an unbeaten 56 from 38 balls after an early collapse, and Langer was truly impressed.
“With youth comes fearlessness often and he seems to have that but what I love about him is his temperament. People talk about him smacking them out of the park but that innings of 56 not out, he played like he had played 150 games,” Langer said.
“He worked out the situation. He smacked a six and then laid back and glided a four, that’s unbelievable under that sort of pressure. It was a big game for Australia. He came in and his temperament was excellent,” he added.
“For a bloke who was more of a show that people were talking about he actually had real steel about him, he was calm. The few times I’d seen him before maybe his tempo was a bit rushed. But when I saw him under pressure I was very impressed with that,” he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!