Dhaka: Former Australian cricketer Stuart Law said on Monday he would step down as Bangladesh coach in June, citing family reasons for his surprise decision to quit one year into a two-year contract.
His announcement came a day after the Bangladesh cricket board said it planned a short tour later this month to Pakistan, where international cricket has been suspended since a militant attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in March 2009.
"My resignation is purely for family reasons," Law, 43, told reporters in Dhaka, insisting that security concerns had not been a factor.
"It has nothing to do with the Pakistan tour," he said, adding that he would complete a year on the job in June before heading to Australia to join his family.
He declined to confirm whether he would travel with the national team which will play a solitary one-dayer on April 29 and a Twenty20 international the next day -- both in Lahore.
Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said Law should go to Pakistan.
"The coach is part of the team and he should travel with the team," Yunus said.
The 2009 attack on the Sri Lankan team in Lahore left eight people dead and seven visiting players and their assistant coach wounded. Pakistan`s government has promised fool-proof security for the Bangladesh team for the two matches in Lahore.
Law`s finest moment as coach came last month when Bangladesh defeated India and Sri Lanka on way to the Asia Cup final in Dhaka, which they lost to Pakistan. Law, who played one Test and 54 one-day internationals for Australia, had also served as an assistant coach for Sri Lanka under Trevor Bayliss. (AFP)