Laxman’s ton guides India to series levelling victory
Zeecric Bureau/Sudeshna Guha Roy
Colombo: A stupendous 103-run knock by VVS Laxman guided India to a series levelling victory as they won the third and the final Test against Sri Lanka by 5 wickets here at P Sara Oval on Saturday.
Laxman held his nerve throughout the concluding day as he first built a 109-run partnership with Sachin Tendulkar to lead India to a commanding position, and then played the concluding 87-run innings with Suresh Raina to help his team clinch a face-saving victory in the island.
The triumph helped India end the three-match series with a 1-1 draw.
Chasing 257 runs in the second innings, India suffered an early blow as Suraj Randiv dismissed night-watchman Ishant Sharma for a mere score of 4.
However, Tendulkar and Laxman played steadily thereafter to take India to a very comfortable situation.
Tendulkar came up with his 56th Test fifty as India went for lunch with their scorecard reading 145/4. Post lunch, the Tendulkar-Laxman duo put up a remarkable 109-run fifth wicket partnership that changed the flow of the game altogether.
When the going gets tough, Randiv gets going! That is exactly what happened to Sri Lanka as Randiv dismissed Tendulkar (54) to claim his maiden five-wicket haul.
After Tendulkar’s dismissal, the onus fell on Laxman to further lead the campaign.
Laxman slammed a total of 12 boundaries to later clinch his 16th Test century. Alongside, Raina kept him perfect company as he scored 41 runs, with the help of four boundaries and a six, a shot which marked Indian victory on Sri Lankan soil.
Randiv had a dream of a second innings as he earlier claimed the wicket of Murali Vijay (27), Virender Sehwag (0) and Rahul Dravid (7) on the fourth day. In the first innings as well, he has Sehwag, Abhimanyu Mithun, Amit Mishra and Ishant Sharma as his victims.
The proceedings of the fifth day started with India resuming their batting campaign from their fourth day’s score of 53/4, requiring 204 more runs to win the match and level the series.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow