Manoj Tiwary named as replacement for injured Rohit
New Delhi: Manoj Tiwary was on Sunday named as replacement for Rohit Sharma who has been ruled out of the ongoing five-match ODI series against England due to a finger injury.
Rohit fractured his index finger after being hit by a Stuart Broad delivery in the 38th over of India`s innings in the first one-dayer at Chester-le-Street yesterday. Rohit did not bat after that hit, the first ball the middle order batsman faced after coming in at number five.
Tiwary, a prolific scorer for Bengal in the domestic circuit, will join the team at the earliest.
"Rohit Sharma fractured his right index finger during the first ODI against England, and has been ruled out of the remainder of the series as a result," the BCCI said in a statement.
"Manoj Tiwary has been named his replacement in the India ODI squad. He will join the team at the earliest," Cricket Board secretary N Srinivasan said in the statement.
It has been a disastrous tour for India as many leading players, including Sachin Tendulkar, Gautam Gambhir, Virender Sehwag, Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma and Yuvraj Singh suffered injuries at various stages.
Tendulkar had to miss Saturday’s ODI opener due a toe injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened