Mathews says Lanka’s recent performances earned them Boxing Day Test
Sydney: Sri Lanka vice captain Angelo Mathews has said their brilliant performances recently have earned them the right to play a Boxing Day Test match against Australia in Melbourne.
The Sri Lankans have not played a Test match at the MCG since 1995 and Mathews said he was glad the side was back, News.com.au reports.
Mathews said they have played good cricket in every form of game, reaching the finals of four World Cup, and added that it was an honour to play at the MCG on the Boxing Day.
The 25-year-old has been touted as the man to replace outgoing captain Mahela Jayawardene, and he said he was looking forward to lead the nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore